Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Diving In

This is a journey I have been afraid to begin. I have feared unpacking and examining what I believe too closely--like if I looked at anyone one thing too long it would disappear, and the next and the next until I am left with nothing, without faith. But someone asked me what, if anything, I am certain of. I am certain of God. He is. He is good.

There may be other things that I come back to and in retrospect decide that I was certain of all along. But for now, this is my bedrock. I am opening everything else up for examination: Christ, the Church, the Bible, it's doctrines, salvation, eternity, man. On many of these I think I know what I believe. But thinking I know is not good enough for me anymore. I want to be sure of, at the very least, what I can be sure of.

This is a scavenger hunt for truth. It is spiritual as much as it is scholarly. I am thirsty for truth and for even knowing what truth is. I am open to suggested reading, to the thoughts of the community of those who believe, whatever they believe. I am willing to sort through the different perspectives to gain understanding and to sure up my own.

I need a starting point. Today I thought of starting with my Bible and I cried. I realized as much as I want (and I do desperately want) to believe that it is truth, I am skeptical. It is so difficult for me to read it right now and not notice from time to time that I am reading through a lens. How do you pack away your presuppositions and just see truth? How do you pack away the presuppositions of others that have been hammered over your head for decades and see truth?

Oh, I am sure of one more thing: I am HIS. He is with me in this journey. He will lead me to truth.

2 comments:

rflan2 said...

You are going on a serious journey. Don't know if I have anything to offer. I by know means consider myself an authority on God's word. I DO, like you know that He IS, and that I and His. I do know and can sense that a lot of my confusion and the way I handle lifes issues and trials has a lot to do with the fact that I haven't put in the needed time in learning about Who my faith is in. All that is to say that I need to spend some real time studying and learning what the bible sais....and they move from there.

rflan2 said...

says