Friday, March 03, 2006

OH MY God....

OH MY! When I said I was convinced God was with me in this journey, I had NO idea what I was talking about.

I just got back from Borders. I went to buy a couple of theology books I’ve been putting off for a long time. I had 2 in my hands and I was walking up and down the aisles looking for a General Religion section. I wanted a general, broad stroke book on world religions. That’s when I ran into this man. He was probably in is early sixties, dark, heavy, gray-haired Black man in old jeans, carrying a bag with what looked like all his worldlies in it. He looked at me and said, “Hey there sister, pray for me when you go to church ok? The name is Michael.” I said ok that I would and I repeated his name so I wouldn’t forget it. I kept walking up the aisle thinking how CRAZILY ironic it was that this guy was asking ME to pray for him when I go to church. I have no idea when that will be, so I prayed for him quickly in my head, noting that I left off the “in Jesus’ name” part.

I keep walking up and down the aisles looking for this world religions book and I run into him again and here goes the rest of the conversation:

Mike: So, sister, where do you go to church?

Lexi: Umm, I’m kinda up in the air about that right now.

(conversation about where he was from-Boston-how he’s a “walker”, history of the city, what he’s seen since he’s been in DC, etc.)

Mike: So, you’re seeking? Trying to decide…

Lexi: Trying to figure out what I believe.

Mike: Are you…?

Lexi: A Christian? Yeah. I pastored a church with my husband for 9 years.

Mike: I knew it. Listen to me sister (points finger at me) you are needed. The church needs you. You may wander about for a while and even look into all these other religions, but you always come back home. The church needs you. You have been through a lot. There are wounded women, people who have been molested who need you, need to hear what you have to say. Listen, the Church is afraid. I love the church, but the Church is afraid to talk about abuse and molestation, prostitution and abortion. I know. I’ve had my own children aborted.

There is so much stuff that has happened and it’s easy to be bitter because you’ve been hurt. I don’t know if it was a divorce or what happened with you and your husband, but that’s none of my business. Don't let bitterness and anger keep you away from what God has from you. I know you can be in there exegeting Hebrew and Greek one minute and then a flash from whatever happened enters you mind and all that goes out the window when the anger and pain rushes in. I know how it is, I've been there.

But,YOU are needed. You may run away, but you won’t go far, you know where home is. Young women need people to talk about this stuff. And not just the women, the boys are being molested and raped right in the church. We don’t want to talk about the DL and all that kind of stuff, but people have been wounded. That's what's happening to our men and women. That’s why they are building so many more women’s prisons nowadays. Wounded people don’t have anyone to talk to. You’re needed sister. The church needs leadership. You keep searching, you’ll come home.

Lexi: (Crying at this point) Mike, you will never know how much this conversation has meant to me. Thank you so much.

Mike: I don’t know why I’m saying this to you, but it’s not about charismatic or this way or that way. There are people who are hurting and they need help, period. You are already helping people, but the Church needs you sister. You’re needed.

Lexi: You know, I was just looking for the General Religion section for a book on world religions and I can’t find it, instead here I am talking to you.

Mike: You read and study. I did the same thing, Buddhism, this one, that one. Do what you need to but know that you have gifts, you’re needed. You’ll come home.

(My co-worker walks past. I speak. She is white.)

Mike: And there's so much racial healing that has to take place. God doesn't want us living in the past. We keep wanting to look back. Look at you and your friend. He's doing something there. I don't know what it is but God wants us moving forward, not living in the past.

Lexi: Thank you so much, Mike.

Mike: You go on, don't let me hold you. God bless you, Sister.
----------------------

OK, I don’t even want to mention how I walked away from the conversation and went to 2 more aisles and back to the one we were in and he was nowhere to be found, because that just sounds too creepy. Things like this happen to people I think are weirdos, not to me.

I found the world religions book but by this time had totally lost interest.

Oh my, to be pursued by the God of the Universe! Amazing.

4 comments:

katrice said...

My breath has been taken away reading this...

You know me, I'm a skeptic about anything remotely emotional, but this is undeniable.

I know you hear God.

Wow.

Unknown said...

"If you seek me you will find me, if you seek me with all you heart."

God is not only on the journey with you. Consider that He designed the journey, He prompted the journey and He has just begun.

So, how does it feel to be the resident weirdo?

Enjoy the ride, I love being a fly on the windshield.

Lex said...

Kwesi, that Scripture has echoed in my head last night and all day today.

I guess I am the resident weirdo.

I have sunk my teeth into A Generous Orthodoxy. Charmaine is going to read it with me. I'd love for you to join us. She and Rick have asked not to be left out when we have our Yap Fests. I just watched the movie "Saved" tonight. Talk about timing!

Have you seen it? If you guys don't read G.O. with me, at least watch this movie and let's yap.

What a ride! Hang on!

Anonymous said...

"You saw me before I was born. Everyday of my life was recorded in your book. Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed". Ps. 139: 16 (NLT)

The great thing about God is that nothing catches him by surprise. From the beginning, before time existed, God knew that you would be at this point. Your life was scripted by the "potter" before anything ever came to me. Unfortunately, with all the firery darts and arrows of the evil one, life and everything and everyone else that caused us unbareable pain - we often rewrite the script that was designed for us from the beginning. In His excellence, by His grace, because of His love and through the guidance of his Holy Spirit, He allows us to find the path of righteousness designed by Him for us from the beginning.

Here are some lyrics to a song by Fred Hammond. I thought of this song while reading your blog. I pray that this speaks to your heart. The CD is "Speak Those Thing"... track number 4 The name of the song is "Everything To Me"

My future and my history
My freedom and my liberty
My strength my joy
My life, my peace
Oh Lord You're everything to me


My flame, my light
My lamp, my heat
Brighten my path to guide my feet
Anoint my head and fill my cup
Oh Lord You're everything to me

Everything to me
Everything to me
Everything to me
Everything


When I felt lost and alone
You came and changed my story
On the pages of my life
You have revealed Your glory
Oh Lord You're everything to me


My start, my now
My close, my end
The Lover of my soul, my friend
Oh Lord You are my everything
My Father, God
My Lord and King


You heal and cause
Life to increase
You are the cure for my disease
My purpose and destiny
Oh Lord You're everything to me