Thursday, March 23, 2006

GO:Chapter 2: Jesus and God B

Jesus and God B

1. What does it mean to call Jesus “Son of God”? Has this chapter affected your understanding of this name in any way?

This question has caused me to think a lot these couple of weeks. In short, to me the term means “the spitting image of God”. But I really don’t believe I have thought of Jesus as this very much at all. Maybe I’ve considered him “somewhat like God”, “looking a little like God”, “God minus a little bit”, but not “God, period!” I have addressed this a little in a previous post, so I won’t belabor the point here. Suffice it say that I’ve failed to consider Christ’s humanity as part of and representative of the nature of God.

2. If in Jesus, “the word God itself is reimagined” (page 82), what are the implications for how we live and relate to God?

First of all, to imagine God as a less “other-worldly”, power-driven, distant judge and as actually having more in common with me than I’ve ever thought about before begs for me to relate to him differently. I don't think I fully grasp or benefit from the idea of a God longing to be in relationship with me or a God who, in the process of saving the world, is inviting me to change (to a new way of life) to be a part of the whole process. On some level I think his image is greatly distorted for me by the leaders of his church. I see him , at times, as condemning and finger-shaking and therefore conclude, "why bother?" I've got a lot of work to do to silence the voices in my head who claim to have been speaking for God, but whose message is so different from the one I'm beginning to consider here.

3. What are your thoughts on the issue of pronouns for God?

I’m a languages person, so I fully understand and relate to the frustration of English’s limitationss on this one. I think I’ve always imagined God as male, and challenging this at a time when I am having some pretty strong reactions to what I perceive as sexism in the kingdom is significant. I agree wholeheartedly that the biblical imagery of a male God (Father and Son) have contributed to patriarchalism and chauvinism in the church.

This stirs up so much for me as I prepare to re-engage with Scripture. I am curious to see what it will be like to read a God that is more like the man Jesus I’m reading about, and at the same time to imagine a genderless God. I’m wondering if this will eliminate some of what I consider the “lens” I’ve come to read scripture through. As much as I know the lens of my teaching is distorting what I see in scripture, I still read a Bible that gives lip-service to the equality of women and treats them as second class citizens.

I’m going on and on off the subject. Sorry.

4. What if anything, appeals to you about removing “the macho-power and patriarchal-dominance ideas often associated with God” (page 84) Or do you think McLaren is on the wrong track about this?

I think McLaren is on the right track with this one. Jesus is not portrayed as the macho-powerful, patriarchally dominant potentate that we so often ascribe to God. I am intrigued by this idea and eager to try out the idea as I study Jesus. We shall see.

5. If God is “a unified, eternal, mysterious, relational, community/family/society/entity of saving love” (page 85) how do you think he wants you to relate to him? To each other? To non-Christians? (Or if you think this view of God is all wet, say why?

I think this is a refreshing picture of God and quite frankly more accurate, not to mention appealing, when I compare it to how God reveals himself in Christ. This is what I like about how the Eastern Orthodox treat Christ. They seem to get this relational God and his invitation to us to participate in his kingdom (community). I think he wants us to continue to invite others to the community (to redemption) through real relationship and love.

6. How would you describe the universe you live in- more like universe A or universe B (page 85) or if you live in universe C or D, or you’d like to describe A in a more generous term, talk about that.

I believe we live in universe B, understanding that relationship, interdependence, responsibility, becoming, possibility and freedom come at a great price. They are riddled with pain and suffering and graciously balanced with joy.

7. Millions of people believe in God A. So what might be desirable about universe A?

There is little uncertainty. There is a bottom line and clear-cut answers, in theory, at least.

8. Does this chapter overlook anything you think is important to say about Jesus As Son of God? If so, what?

1 comment:

Amika said...

As to the pronoun of God in Hebrew God is masculine but inseperable from the holy spirit, which is feminine. So he is both and it seems like he'd have to be to create and fully understand both. I'm pretty sure I wrote abvout this at some point on my blog.